RSS twitter facebook youtube pinterest instagram wattpad goodreads
Shop my stuff!

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

My Author Journey So Far - May 17, 2017


How are things going? 
How is your contest progress insofar?
#wheneverythingisfucked


Last Week...

I had been working diligently on my novel for the Amazon contest.
And I even wrote an outline.
See?

And I even designed 5 kick-ass versions of the book cover!
My kick ass book cover designs




And I had the whole story written on worksheets:
My handwritten book outline on worksheets

Then I realized, just how big this story was getting.
VERY, very big.
And I had a short, short timeline to finish and upload it.
Ruh-roh!
With all the subject matter, this could easily stretch over 50k words. Or into a second book.
So with no feasible way to get it done in one week, I put on my thinking hat, realizing I COULD, write a prequel to this particular story.
A much shorter book!

So I got cracking on that.


This past weekend... huge time suck(s)

But, I was asked to prepare foods and clean the house as we had guests. A lot of food.
That peeled me away from the computer, for several hours.

Distraction.
Also, my father's blood sugar has spiked dramatically, enough to cause him to get super crabby and take it out on me. You know, because I need more distractions and nonsense. And he's been snapping at me more and more; joy. Getting yelled at no es bueno kids! Also, the timing sucks. Not what I need during a deadline week!
Distraction.
Also, tending to my mother who wanders around in the yard. She does weird things, like yank out perfectly healthy flowering plants, and calls it 'cleaning the yard'. *sigh
Distraction.  
My mother's Alzheimers is at the tail end, which means her short term memory is completely gone. She had a phone conversation with her sister earlier today (I have to dial the phone for her) and she completely forgot it took place, not even 20min. later.
Distraction.
Other new revelations of hers that are 'weird' (I discovered this early last month) is that she'll eat fruit without peeling it, leave bits of food everywhere if no one watches her (she rises with the sun, while we are all asleep), sweep the floors and dump dirt anywhere. That happened Sunday. As in, flower pots I have growing seedlings in outdoors. And she'll sweep the sidewalk of maple tree seeds, dumping them anywhere. Today I found a dump in a flower bed. Good grief.


Amidst these distractions, I began writing the outline for the prequel. 

Here is what I came up with:
 
My handwritten notes on the prequel to the big book.



Take time out for an appropriate snack break while writing a book.


Let's take a delicious closer look, shall we?
Fresh brewed coffee and coconut cake for a book writing break, is 100% Om-nom-noms!



Distraction.
Yes, I actually had to make the cake from scratch. That took time. I gotta feed the beast when I get those sugar pangs! No, I cannot eat stuff that comes in a box and you add water to. Those preservatives feel like a nuke going off in my stomach. Fresh is better anyway.

Speaking of feeding beasts, my dog. Who needs constant walking, feeding, cleaning after. More time out of my schedule...



Earlier this week, bringing us to right now...

Well I just wrote an entire story of fuckery, about a 2 day adventure, having to do with an airfryer oven- a return/refund, and getting suckered into accepting a credit card, but being much too personal and pissing me off...ughhhhn...must, remain calm...
Mind palace...
Mind palace...
Nevermind.

To summarize: 
Old folks cannot be left alone. Even if they insult you LOUDLY to your damn face, and insist that they can still do things.
No they can't. They clearly cannot. 
Also, buy the 3qt. model. The 5qt. models (all brands) are prone to breaking down faster.
Face palm. 

Well, that's more nonsense for another day, 'cuz I'm far too busy right now!

 


Middle of this week,

Are we writing yet? No?

I had to stop writing mid-chapter to resolve this page numbers issue that's been plaguing me for days.
Playing catch-up is a nightmare. 
Every blank template I have, whether it's .doc or .odt, doesn't matter. I keep having the same freaking problem. Open Office is displaying page numbers as 'Page Numbers' text, instead of actual numerical values.

Yes, I have tried changing the page styles, the fields, etc. etc.

God help me, I have tried every configuration, gone to various web boards, looked on their website, uninstalled and reinstalled a clean version too.
Nothing.
Then I ran anti-malware scan, virus scan, ran my malicious removal tool, cleared registries.
Rebooted.
Still the problem persists.


FUUUUUUUUCKKKKK!!!
Open Office error with page numbers

I want numbers, not letters! 
Squandering all these hours and hours on one technical screw up is infuriating.
Mind palace...
Mind palace...
And in this mind palace lies a heavenly slice of coconut cake. Foodgasm!
(think happy thoughts)


Not gonna lie, these books are frickin' genius! I am my worst critic and even I find the subject matter and all the twists I put into the story entertaining. This two part book series is gonna be bomb! I figure the rest of the world will be impressed too, once I figure out what the hell is going on with OO.
Stay tuned! 
And treat yo self to some sugary delightful foods! You deserve it champ!

Printfriendly

Books on Audio - FREE offer

Disqus

blogger template